Sunday, September 22, 2013



COCONUT, BERRY AND SPINACH SMOOTHIE RECIPE (PALEO, GAPS)

“This has spinach in it?” Pete made my day with his question. I’ve learned a little lesson – when I’m using new or different ingredients I don’t announce it to the family. Instead, I serve them, see what the feedback is and then tell them the ingredients. Works like a charm. So go ahead and serve up a smoothie with spinach. No one will ever know.

We prefer the egg yolks in our smoothie because it gives the drink a nice creamy consistency. Organic, pastured egg yolks are a rich source of carotenoids, omega-3 fatty acids, and fat-soluble antioxidant nutrients. When consuming raw egg yolks, I prefer to only use pastured or good quality organic eggs. If you don’t want to use raw yolks, simply omit them. Serves 4

1 1/2 cups coconut milk (I prefer Native Forest)
1 1/2 cups cold water
1 1/2 cup frozen blueberries
1 1/2 cup frozen raspberries
1 1/2 cup baby spinach, washed and patted dry
4 raw egg yolks, pastured or a good quality organic egg (optional – see headnote above)
2-3 tablespoons honey (I used clover) or a few pinches of stevia

Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth. Adjust sweetness to taste. Serve.

Shared by Deliciously Organic

No comments:

Post a Comment